We just gathered a huge bunch of Fava Beans from our garden! They are also available this time of year at the farmer’s market.
Shall we head to the kitchen?
- 2 cups shelled fava beans (more on this process later)
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin oilve oil
- juice from 1 large lemon
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 1-2 cloves of garlic (depends on how soon you need to go to a meeting)
- 10-15 mint or parsley leaves
- salt to taste
- optional spices: ground black pepper, 1/2 tsp ground cumin
Get the beans out of the outer shell, blanch them in boiling water for 30 seconds, drain and chill them in a bowl of cold water. Now the bright green chubby beans can be easily popped out of the skin.
They are quite sweet and irresistible, so if you have only one cup left after the process, please adjust the rest of the ingredients for step 2. =)
Add the rest of the ingredients and blend in a blender or food processor until smooth, adjust seasoning as needed. They are delicious on toasted flat bread, pita bread, or chips. They are yummy as a dip, pasta sauce, or bruschetta spread. They can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days. Can’t tell you what happens after that since it never lasted that long!