There are things we just love for no practical reason, such as … these old license plates!
In the back of my mind, I have always wondered what to do with my ruggedly charming bunch of license plates, until a light bulb went up one day, when I was planning our Christmas decorations.
A license plate Christmas tree!!!
* Some resources in article are affiliate links. Full disclosure here .
Oh, here’s a little gift: if you want this tree, but don’t have old license plates, I have included free printables of these plates for you to download at the end, so you can even make a tree with card stock or cardboard!
Just don’t use printable plates on your car, OK? 😉
Remember all these unconventional DIY Christmas trees last year?
Of course I have to add my own contribution this time!
- old license plates: You can findon Ebay such as these. Or make your own card stock plates with the free downloads at the end!
- card stock: Every tree needs a star! I made our license plate star out of card stock. No need for all the work and heartache to cut up the real plates!
- small picture hanging nails to hang the plates
- LED fairy lights like these 33′ ones to light up our tree
The “Christmas tree” you see here has 5 tiers, plus the “trunk” and the star. The height is about 5′ not including the star.
Measure and determine where the top plate should be. Start with the first plate: check that it’s level, mark the 2 holes at the top and hammer one nail for each hole.
Hang the plate, then start the next row.
Each row of license plates goes outside the row above, and you may need longer nails as you get to the bottom rows.
Our tree came together in no time! Feel free to adjust where each plate is so the mix of colors are balanced.
To make the star, just print out the templates on card stock, glue the tabs together, and thread a piece of string or fishing line at one of the tips to hang it.
The nails provide the perfect support for some gorgeous LED fairy lights !
More holiday creative fun for you: A super cool Reindeer that poops candies!
Happy dreaming! xo