I love things made with glass, so I’m always looking for inspiring ideas to re-use glass bottles, jars, vases, etc. Here are some GREAT tutorials I have collected on how to transform old glass into really useful and beautiful things for our homes and gardens! Some of these would make great gifts as well!
1. Make a Bottle Tree: One of the best DIY bottle tree tutorials! Pam shares a lot of great tips from rot resistant posts such as cedar or redwood, to the type of bolts she chose. (from Pam | Penick)
2. Glass jar terrarium: I really, really want to put in this a tiny version of me, playing hide and seek, with a dinosaur. ( from Joann | Chickypea )
3. Stained glass bottle wall: Stained glass, how much I love thee! When we stayed at an Earthship, these stunning “stained glass” bottle walls had everybody go gaga! (see it at A Piece Of Rainbow)
4. Glass jar oil lamp: Once upon a time, when life was so simple and beautiful… there were oil candles infused with pine and citrus …. (see tutorial here)
5. Old drinking glass to paper flower lanterns: Start with 3 new sets of glass, end with 3 pieces of mismatched glass. Add paper and candles, we have a magical evening! (see it at A Piece Of Rainbow )
6. Recycled glass self-watering planter: Don’t you love cool designs like this? The secret here is the cotton wick that draws moisture up to the plant roots. (from Grace | Design Sponge)
7. Mason jar pin cushion: A gift that will make your sewing friends oh-sew-happy! (from Leslie | Seasoned Home Maker )
8. Glass jar pendant lamp: Beachy + country = Irresistible. Thank you Sarah for sending the ocean breeze! (from Sarah | A Beach Cottage )
9. Glass jar garden marker: How darling are these unique garden labels made by Cortney? And you will learn how to use glass paint! ( from Cortney | Hometalk )
10. Yarn storage jar: I don’t knit, but still manage to create a tangled mess with my 3 and only yarn balls… a genius solution! ( from Rae | PG Everyday )
11. Hanging jars with fairy lights: Fireflies? No more misty eyes as they say farewell, because you have these jars! ( from All things Heart and Home | Hometalk )
12. Gratitude candy jar: The sweetest way to say thank you : fill a jar with favorite candy, and add thank-you feathers! (from Esther | Esther and Jacob )
13. Glass bottle lamp: Wow, Pottery Barn! Wait, DIY?? ( from Jeannine | Hometalk )
14. DIY Mason jar soap dispenser: How to make liquid soap so full of charm? Put it in a mason jar! (from Claire | SheKnows)
15. Recycled wine bottle tiki torch : Living on a tropical . paradise . island . Need I say more? ( from Erik | Design Sponge )
16. Recycled glass bottle garden edging: A great way to attract garden fairies is to have colored lights dancing on your garden path. (Daune | Hometalk)
17. Up-cycled bottle wall : 125 bottles came together in the most delicious of all the ways! (from Joanne | Hometalk )
18. Test tube wall hanging vase : Got 2 minutes? Pretty floating bud vases have never been easier to make! (see it at A Piece Of Rainbow)
You may have noticed that several of these projects are from Hometalk. Hometalk is a great community where people share their home decor and improvement projects. I just curated an idea board for Hometalk here of projects with old glass you may love to check out!
Do you love to up-cycle and reuse? You would love this fun collection of wreaths made of things found and recycled!