Does the thought of spring flowers make you giddy? Especially cherry blossoms!
Who does not love cherry blossoms? They look so lovely in any style of home from country to vintage to modern!
The only thing is, they only bloom for a few weeks!
Today’s simple DIY paper cherry blossom branches will help preserve the beautiful moments a lot longer!
First, materials and tools:
- a branch, that makes you squeal with delight!
- crepe paper in ivory or pale pink for the flowers, and in shades of green for the leaves
- optional: watercolor or craft paint- it’s hard to find the perfect natural looking green paper, so we can stain our paper to the shade of green we like
- floral tape in white or pale green
- scissors, glue, and hot glue
- paper flower stamens: these can be purchased online, but it’s fun to make your own
If you want to make them, you can check out my tutorial on how to make poppy stamens like in this photo below.
Now let’s start making our cherry blossoms!
Fold a strip of ivory crepe paper in 5 and cut out the petals like shown in the above template, so we get a connected piece of 5 petals. Make sure the grain on the crepe paper is running vertically on the petals.
Make a center by folding a strip of pale green crepe paper in four folds, then fold the stamen in half, and tape 3 of them at the base.
Pinch the base of each petal and tape them to the flower center and stamens with the floral tape. Shape the petals gently.
If you can’t find the perfect shades of green paper for the leaves, use some diluted watercolor or acrylic paint to tint them, like I did here on the pale green leaves.
Step 5: (the last step woohoo!)
Use hot glue to attache the flowers and leaves onto your lovely branch, that’s all!
If you want to hang this on a wall, you can use clear fishing lines attached to the branch.
I put ours in a vase. Can you believe spring is already here?
Before I say goodbye, here are a couple more DIY to welcome spring – dimensional paper flower lanterns, and vintage inspired pallet crates with easy image transfer!