21 creative stay-at-home activities for kids & family: make educational projects, fun DIY arts and crafts, lots of things to do ideas with simple & free materials!
There are times when we have to stay at home, it could be a rainy day, or something so unexpected like the pandemic quarantine and stay home lock downs! However, we can make the best of our stay at home days and do things together that are inspiring and enriching for kids and everyone in the family.
We can use this time to learn new things, create beautiful arts and crafts, explore nature and science through fun projects, plant a mini garden, make heartwarming gifts for loved ones, and so much more!
Here are some of our favorite creative ideas of Stay-at-Home crafts and educational activities for kids & the whole family! They are mostly either free, or super low cost, using up-cycled materials or a few simple arts and crafts supplies.
* Some resources in article are affiliate links. Full disclosure here .
1. Make painted rock art
Rocks are free materials that offer endless creative possibilities. Take some acrylic craft paints or white paint pens , and create a family portrait or write inspirational quotes on rocks and pebbles. Here are some great ideas and tutorials!
2. Regrow kitchen scraps: free gardening activities for kids and family
These are really fun and educational activities for kids and adults! Save your avocado pits and mango seeds, let’s grow avocado and mango trees! You can also grow beautiful greens and plants from a sweet potato, a carrot top, onion trimmings, and lots more! Check out all the kitchen scraps you can regrow magically!
3. Build cardboard furniture : fun educational activities for kids and adults
Learn to build furniture using recycled cardboard and duct tape. It is a great family activity: the adults can cut the cardboard, and kids can do the assembling and decorating.
4. Up-cycle a container into an interactive toy
Make a candy pooping reindeer from a potato chip container and simple materials you already have at home, and learn some basic mechanics through the fun process.
5. Make pop up cards
Send a little happy surprise to a loved one with a big pop up flower hidden in a handmade card, free templates here! We can all appreciate a little extra love during a challenging time of social distancing and quarantine.
6. Create a mini jungle terrarium
Find a glass jar and create a mini tropical jungle that lasts for months with minimal care. Here’s how to make terrarium in 3 easy steps!
7. Make an indoor water garden
8. Grow a kitchen and bath sponge
Grow your natural sponge and eat it too! Sounds too good? Learn about this wonderful Luffa plant here and grow some in your garden this year! You can find Luffa seeds here.
9. Make stickers and labels from packing tape
So many things you could do with unique stickers. See how to Make your own stickers from packing tape in this easy craft tutorial.
10. Make collage wall art: things to do on a rainy day at home
11. Color mandalas: art activities for kids and adults
Kids and adults all love coloring. Mandalas are believed to bring more harmony and well-being with good vibrations. Download some free coloring pages here!
12. Make leaf prints: fun nature craft activities for kids and adults
These beautiful DIY leaf prints can be used as wall art and greeting cards. You can use leaves from any season. They are so much fun to make!
13. Make giant flower decorations from nature finds
Another creative nature craft for all ages. These giant flowers will last for months. Tutorial here!
14. Make pinecone wreath
Take fun nature walk and collect some pine cones to make this easy DIY pinecone wreath.
15. Make a wreath with leaves and cardboard : free craft activities for kids and family
This easy and beautiful DIY magnolia wreath is practically free to make!
16. Paint bubble flowers: fun and easy art activities for kids
It’s not just a fun arts and crafts project for kids. It is also quite irresistible for grownups! Tutorial here.
17. Paint watercolor flowers
Learn how to paint watercolor flowers in this easy step by step tutorial.
18. Sharpie art on mugs and bowls
Learn how to Create art on bowls and mugs using your sharpie markers. No baking needed.
19. Make a 3d calendar: paper craft activities for kids
This easy paper craft you give you an unique calendar while you learn about the geometry of a dodecahedron – one of the platonic solids. Free templates here.
20. Make paper flowers : paper craft activities for kids and family
21. 3D paper birds and mobile art
Make a magical mobile art with some branches and easy 3d paper birds. Free templates here!
Stay well friends! And happy crafting!